Saturday, August 26, 2006

C´est la vie.

Well sadly I am writing today to pass on probably the most disheartening news of the trip. Last night while dining with some new friends from the hostel, my shoulder bag was taken off of my chair and is forever lost to the streets of Buenos Aires. You can expect something like this to happen anywhere and hindsight is always 20/20. I broke several of my own rules. Usually i watch even the shadows that pass and trail behind us on the sidewalks. I never take my bag off my shoulder unless i am against the wall. My camera stays in my pocket. Alas great food, energetic conversation and a seemingly safe restaurant atmosphere provided a bit too much comfort. Speculations abound, but in the end it does not matter because there is little that can be done now. The good news, there was only one thing of any value in the bag. Unfortunately, if there was one single thing that I would wish to survive the trip it would be this item. My camera. Almost half of our photos were on there, thus If a picture is worth a thousand words, at least one version of the novel has failed to make the printing press. Like an emormous full moon over the Tetons the images will be only as lasting as one´s memories and sensations. Luckily, we both were taking pictures, so the story is preserved. If the karma police care to mind, I laugh that all that was in the bag otherwise was a book on the history of salt that I had finished, a spanish english dictionary, and a thin windbreaker. Perhaps our thief will learn the amazing history of salt while translating the words to spanish. When the crisp winds blow up the street, perhaps he will find warmth under the shelter of my great thrift store find. As with any somber mood, a new day begins and i suppose we have one less thing to worry about. Thus until the sun shines a little brighter.............

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about the camera. I know that is something you'd love to have. Still, the memories are in your head and heart and those are the most important spots always. Take care and love. Marcia

Sun Aug 27, 06:34:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will just have to return someday and retake some of the photos that you are really missing. Thank goodness Eric still has his camera. Have you tried to learn to tango? Happy Birthday early from all in Mingo. The blogsite readership is growing exponentially here, much enjoyment for family and all sorts of friends. love, Hayes

Mon Aug 28, 05:51:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SA Trekkers; Bummer about the camera. Should have been there. NOBODY steals from my pals. Check your table guests pockets? Look forward. Iguazu and Rio now. Wow! Get purple geode and freeze dried piranha finished in shellac for canoe shelf. Week left. Come clean about night bug bites now. Grove digs may survive. Where condo prez in hour of need? Churascaria. Cook it, peel it, or forget it. Dad

Tue Aug 29, 10:07:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wilma thats why real men do not wear shoulder bags only hippies

Tue Aug 29, 03:25:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WILMA YOU CAN ALWAYS BACK TRACK AND HAVE A LONGER TRIP.

Tue Aug 29, 03:27:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home